CLASSIC POTATO SALAD WITH HOMEMADE VEGAN MAYONNAISE
June 11th, 2018 | 2 minutes to read
This is a classic potato salad when I think of potato salad. It's easy to make and quite tasty. Perfect for bringing over for a picnic.
I used to make the mayonnaise myself when I was living in China because we didn't have those vegan products yet. It takes some work, but it’s fresher and ultimately better for you, as you don’t need to put in any preservatives to prolong its shelf life. Of course the down side of it is that it doesn't last forever, you have to eat them up fairly quickly, I guess, maybe in 2-3 weeks or so. I also found the consistency isn't always stable, you might need to stir or shake a bit each time you use it. I wonder if adding a bit cooked corn starch helps with that, but since we have vegan mayonnaise in Sweden, I just never bothered to experiment, lol. Should you ever try to make vegan mayonnaise yourself, please let me know if you work out something better.
Kitchen Gadgets: Pot and Steamer
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 celery stalks
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- 3 tbsp homemade vegan mayonnaise
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Scrub the potatoes, don’t peel, cube them and steam for 10 minutes, set aside to cool.
- Chop peppers and celery into really fine cubes; add to the potatoes.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, mix well. Sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper, Enjoy!
Kitchen Gadgets: Food Processor or Blender
- 350g silken tofu
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- Add everything except canola oil into the food processor, then process until smooth.
- Add the oil through tube gradually while continuing blending until everything is well incorporated. This will keep in the fridge for a week or two, and in case something the oil separates, stir it well before serving. 😉